Ridge augmentation is a procedure that can restore health to the natural contour of your gums and jaw after a tooth extraction. When you lose teeth through extraction, the shape of your entire face can change, depending on how many were removed. Your teeth can move as well, affecting your smile and your chewing ability. Your dentist can adjust your gums, jawbone, or both, depending on what is needed. When this procedure is done, your face will look like it did before you lost the teeth. This also sets the stage for tooth replacement, whether that be a dental implant or a bridge.
The ultimate goal is to return the natural look to your mouth and face and make your mouth more healthy with our dental services. Ideally, a ridge augmentation would be done when a tooth is removed to avoid the need for additional surgeries. Our Baytown dentists have years of experience performing ridge augmentation. A healthy, happy smile starts at Lovett Dental Baytown.
The Alveolar Ridge
The alveolar is part of the jaw that holds your natural teeth in place. When a tooth is lost to extraction, space is left, and the bone starts to deteriorate. Once it shrinks to a certain point, it can no longer support a tooth or an implant, and an augmentation must be done to strengthen the bone. This is why it is ideal to have augmentation on the same day that you have a tooth removed. t is not too late, however, even if there has been some deterioration. That deterioration can start soon after a tooth is lost. If the bone is still sound, a gum augmentation is all that will be needed.
Ridge Augmentation to Support Bones, Gums, or Both
Ridge augmentation is a surgical procedure that can help to reconstruct both your jawbone and your gums:
- When gums have worn away or deteriorated due to tooth extraction, they are rebuilt by grafting tissue from the roof of your mouth or other gums. This is a one-time visit procedure that has become routine for dentists.
- Bone augmentation is a little more involved but is still safe and fairly painless. In this procedure, the gums are lifted from the bone, and bone grafts are used to level out the bone and restore what has worn away. The gums are then put back in place, and healing begins.
- Sometimes both are done at the same time. Best results are achieved when this is done immediately after tooth extraction. The same procedure is followed when both are done. The bone is restored first, and then the gums are restored.
Other Dental Services
If you are looking for a dentist, Lovett Dental Baytown is your best option. Not only do we offer extensive specialty services like ridge augmentation but also comprehensive general dental services. For instance, we offer the following dental services:
- Family dentistry: For adults, young adults, or children, our team can meet the needs of everyone in your family.
- Emergency dentistry: Whether you’ve suffered from a sudden trauma like a chipped tooth or an unknown pain, we’re open and available.
- Cosmetic dentistry: Our cosmetic services and restore your smile or brighten it through simple procedures.
- Preventative dentistry: Perhaps the best way to improve and maintain your oral health is through our preventative procedures that save you time, money, and keep your mouth healthy.
Call Lovett Dental Baytown Today
If you have had teeth extracted or are considering permanent dentures or implants, contact Lovett Dental Baytown at 281-838-8400. Our dentists and oral hygienists will examine your mouth and determine whether ridge augmentation will help you achieve the results you’re looking for.