Flossing takes just a few minutes. It is one of the most important types of oral hygiene steps you can take. Yet, many people don’t do it or don’t do it enough. If you take a look at the benefits of flossing daily, you’ll find it doesn’t have to be a challenge, and it can be very beneficial. At Lovett Dental Baytown, we provide you with the insight and support you need to know how to maintain your smile long term.
Understanding the Benefits of Flossing Daily
It’s no doubt flossing makes a difference in overall oral health. Take a look at these benefits of flossing daily.
- Prevent Oral Bacteria Build Up: The first benefit and the primary reason for daily flossing is because it helps minimize the number of bacteria and other germs in the mouth. By doing this, your body’s immune system can manage the remaining bacteria.
- Limit Tartar Build Up: Another of the benefits of flossing daily is it allows for the minimizing of plaque and tartar build-up on the teeth. When plaque builds up, it causes the gums to pull away from the teeth. Over time, this allows gingivitis and gum disease to worsen, creating a significant risk of tooth and bone loss.
- Improves Bad Breath: For many people, one of the key benefits of flossing daily is because it helps to reduce bad breath. When you have food particles stuck between your teeth, they break down quickly. This is due to the increased amount of bacteria in the mouth, which produces the foul smell. With brushing and flossing, you remove much of that bacteria and those food particles, improving your oral health.
How Our Team Can Help You
Flossing is just one of the most important things you should do to maintain your oral health. It is also important to get routine teeth cleaning from a dentist at least one time every six months. Be sure to take care of any other underlying oral health problems. We can help you with these, including:
- Preventative fluoride treatments
- Filling and sealants
- Tooth extractions for damaged teeth
- Emergency dental services
- Root canals for significant damage
If you do not floss well and get routine dental care, you are more likely to need these more advanced treatments. That is because flossing helps to remove food and debris from between your teeth so that bacteria cannot feed on it. If you do not floss, you increase the risk of bacteria growing at an alarming rate beyond what your immune system can hold. There is some evidence that poor oral health can lead to an increased risk of strokes and heart disease, too, according to the American Heart Association.
In short, why risk it? Let our team at Lovett Dental help you to improve your oral health and minimize complications.
Keep Your Teeth Bright at Lovett Dental Baytown
You may recognize the benefits of flossing daily, but coming in to see your dentist at least one time every six months is also very important. If you’re ready for a dental checkup or a consultation for more advanced procedures, call Lovett Dental Baytown at 281.346.9510 now for an appointment.